Do Weighted Blankets Work For Anxiety?
According to the ADAA (Anxiety and Depression Association of America), "anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the USA, affecting 40 million adults in the United States ages 18 and older, or 18.1% of the population every year". Also, anxiety disorders are highly treatable, yet only 37% of those suffering receive treatment.
Children also battle Anxiety Disorder, it affects 25.1% of children between 13 and 18 years old. Research shows that untreated children with anxiety disorders are at a higher risk to perform poorly in school, miss out on important social experiences, and engage in substance abuse.
A weighted blanket is a specific blanket that is designed to be heavier than a regular blanket, and available in multiple fabric choices. The theory is that the deep pressure you feel from being under all of that weight has a calming effect during times of high anxiety and stress.
Our weighted blankets can help users calm down and relax when wrapping up in it, and using them at night for help sleeping with comfort and relief.
Weighted blankets can also supplement therapy for the following disorders/conditions:
* Sensory and Sleep disorders. Weighted blanket therapy can help increase serotonin and melatonin levels.
* Insomnia by helping the user fall asleep and stay asleep.
* ADD/ADHD disorder by helping children relax and calm down throughout the day and night.
* Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) by adding pressure to the lower body.
* Stress and Anxiety disorders, and Panic Attacks by providing a calming comfort that is induced by the weight
You can find weighted blankets in a variety of sizes, colors, and fabrics. Depending on your needs, you’ll want to get a weighted blanket that suits you. Typically, 10% of your weight.
Using a weighted blanket is a simple change that can improve your mental health and make a huge difference in your life.
Weighted blankets are available here, Melissa's Weighted Blankets, and proudly made in the USA, if you would like more information or see the types of blankets that are available.